October 2, 2015

Players by Players: Portrait series shot by Athletes

Shooting photo day at a typical college consists of some loosely formed idea of what the designer wants. We get there a couple hours early, setup and wait for the talent to show up.

Typically I shoot players on white backgrounds so they can be cutout and used in a special section previewing the upcoming season. This year was no exception. I was assigned to shoot posed action of the players.

I chose a two light setup using 1 Einstein with a 11" long throw reflector and an Einstien with a 30 degree grid as a rim light.

Alex Poythress, left, and Mychal Mulder pose for photos during photo day.

While gathering equipment at my house I had an idea. What if I made a station where the players could shoot a portrait of each other? I was interested in if they would give their teammates a look or gesture they wouldn't give me.

Some of the upper classmen seem uninterested in the whole yearly routine of having their photo taken by the newspaper, so this would be a way to get them out of their shells.

The setup was pretty simple. I used Canon 600 EX-RT flashes with the Canon ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter to fire the strobes. One flash was in a Westcott Rapid box and the other was bare bulb aimed at camera right to serve as the rim light.

I needed to test the light and get the distance set since I wanted them to look as much the same with the expression or gesture being the variable. I tested the light on freshman Skal Labissiere to make sure the light looked good. After that I put a piece of tape down to give a marker for the distance and then from there let the players do the rest.

PLAYERS BY PLAYERS PHOTO SHOOT 2015

  • PLAYERS BY PLAYERS

    Tyler Ulis by Marcus Lee.

  • PLAYERS BY PLAYERS

    Marcus Lee by Tyler Ulis

  • PLAYERS BY PLAYERS

    Mychal Mulder by Isaiah Briscoe

  • PLAYERS BY PLAYERS

    Isaac Humphries by Mychal Mulder

  • PLAYERS BY PLAYERS

    Skal Labissiere by Jamal Murray

  • PLAYERS BY PLAYERS

    Dominique Hawkins by EJ Floreal

  • PLAYERS BY PLAYERS

    EJ Floreal by Dominique Hawkins

  • PLAYERS BY PLAYERS

    Jonny David by Dillon Pulliam

  • PLAYERS BY PLAYERS

    Isaiah Briscoe by Mychal Mulder

  • HOME

    Charles Matthews and Isaiah Briscoe by Mychal Mulder

BEHIND THE SCENES VIDEO OF PHOTO DAY by Mark Cornelison


Pin It

No comments: